Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Turning the Corner

Well, it looks like Cuttyhunk will have been our furthest point north this season.  The fall weather has finally arrived ushering the first full day in jeans and sweatshirts.

Or original plans were to make for Groton CT today, but our late start and the larger than expected sea state had us running to Block Island instead.  A bit shorter ride abeam the 4-6ft seas with some interesting snap rolls to >40 degrees heel.

We continue to get better acquainted with Gypsy Queen and after a few sea miles have come to understand her motion.  I can safely say that every time she has heeled violently, she has landed back on her feet and we have survived.

Now that we have a working water maker, Christine has embarked on several more water intensive projects like 1) laundry in the 5g bucket and 2) complete cockpit scrub down.  I sure appreciate how much effort she puts out keeping things organized and clean.

For my part, I was going to finish the life-raft lash down project this morning before leaving, but my first attempt was not inspiring.  Fortunately, I did not make any holes, just marks.  My thought is that the optimal position for the raft partially blocks Christine's view over the bow, so she favors a starboard position near the deck top grab rail.  I am concerned that position exposes the raft to more salt spray and I have never seen an IP38 with a raft there.  The deck lashings need more thought. You definitely do not want the raft washed overboard with a boarding wave, so the lashing hard points need to be strong enough to hold the raft even with a boarding wave.  More thought required and through-deck-with-backing-plate style mountings.

Another beautiful sunset from Block Island harbor.  God sure has blessed us to be able to live this way.

1 comment:

  1. Your first full day in jeans and a sweat shirt, oh your so lucky. I just got my one full day for the year of shorts here on the Oregon Coast.

    ReplyDelete