Saturday, September 12, 2015

Newport RI Sunset

Yesterday in Newport was a study in contrasts.  We were rudely awoken early AM with the boat bucking and rolling bad enough to disturb sleep.  We forged on and stayed in bed as best we could. Winds were out of the NW which is the worst quadrant for the Newport anchorage. Hence the rocking and rolling.

We were scheduled to pick up a technician to work on the water maker that day, but it would have been a bit of a wet and wild ride, so we called it off.  Probably a God thing, since later in the day I did some disassembly myself and think I found my problem.  It remains to be seen if I can fix it.

Later yesterday, the winds finally died down and we were able to make it into town to do our laundry and some more wandering around.  All of the high price water front restaurants and bars are down on the water and I have to wonder what all the high class folks thought of us hauling laundry in our little dinghy.  Judging from the smiles and waves, I think we were in good company.

When we got back to Gypsy Queen, the wind had completely died but the overcast clouds were still with us at sunset.  It was just so unusual, that I had to go up on the deck and grab a panorama shot.  I remember when collecting a panorama was a serious job involving manually overlapping photos, correctly configuring the stitch software, then praying for a good result.  Now, I just point and sweep with my smart phone.  MUCH has changed.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I am glad you and Jacob figured out how to post to the blog. I hope this will be a record of our travels that we can refer back to some day. Since we don't keep a paper log, this will be it. Photos are always worth a thousand words.

      Delete