Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Big Apple #2 Close Call

Had a very close call with a boat dragging through the anchorage last night with 25knt winds.  I got up about 3am, not sure why, and went about double checking our drag alarm, chafe protection, and the like.  Not sure why I stayed up, but I poked my head out the companion way one last time before turning in and had a serious OMG moment.  There was a 45' sailboat bearing down on us fast.  The dodger was fogged up and I was not wearing my glasses so it just look terrifying.  I thought for sure they were going to t-bone right on our bow.  I quick got the engine started, then panic steered to port which swung the bow out of the way, but now the stern was the target and the boat was accelerating.  I then panic steered to starboard and gunned it which swung the stern out of the way to port just missing the stern of the dragging boat by inches.  The dragging boat was now traveling at least 6-7 knots as it blew by us heading for the rocks.

I grabbed the air horn and did a continuous blast into their cockpits as they went by.  With all the fog in our cockpit glass I could not tell if there was anyone at the helm in the dragging boat.  No lights were on.  I blasted until the air ran out.

By this time our anchor alarm was going off and I couldn't tell if we were tangled or if my panic steering had broken us loose.  The wind was gusting to 25 and the rain was coming in sheets.  I put the engine in neutral, and let Gypsy Queen settle back down on her anchor and she held.  So the alarm was from my panic steering which had set us quite a ways sideways.

So, now I began to breathe normally.. Sheesh that was a close one.  I got the radio on to call for help if the boat ended up fetching up on the rocks.  I got my glasses on (finally) and checked on the dragging boat and there were lights and she was underway.  WHewww.

In all that excitement I had called down to Christine who was asleep in the forward berth, so now with the situation under control I go below to check on what became of my first mate.  There she was snoozing away peacefully.  Pure envy on my part.  Holy smokes!  the air horn has got to be about 150db and the anchor alarm was clanging away and there she is peacefully SLEEPING!  Clearly I have my work cut out for me.

Oh, and about this time I realize that I have not a stitch of clothing on. Such is the life at anchor.

No comments:

Post a Comment