Wednesday, May 6, 2015

How it all started

Typical guy thing.  I introduce the boat first.  I should have introduced us.  Christine and I were married in 2007 (second time around for both of us) having each raised families of our own.  I had seven kids, she had 3, so add little David and that makes 11.  Yes, eleven.

We met in Oakland, Oregon and discovered we both had a latent desire for adventure.  I sailed a little bit on friends boats back in the 70's but I did not keep up with the sailing scene or updated equipment. So, one day we find ourselves cruising the dock at Winchester Bay, Oregon.  I see this Catalina 42 that is all set up for single handling including an in-mast furling system.  I was entranced.  Here was a global traveler designed for one person to handle.  I spent 30 minutes interpreting all the running rigging, then Christine wandered back down the dock.

So, I say, "what do you think about sailing around the world with me?".  Her response was instantaneous. "I'll get my purse".  She was true to her word.

At the time we owned a ranch in Oregon, kids in all the various ages, and way to much STUFF.  So, we began the process of getting rid of stuff. A process I call 'materialism detox'.

FLASH MESSAGE: You don't need stuff, you need love!

No comments:

Post a Comment